Sunday, February 27, 2011

Study Aids: A Couple of Notes



Just a couple things I thought I would mention.

1.  When I put together my "Amateur Entomologist's Bibliography" (2/11/11), I had in mind those books I've been using in putting together this Blog.   I would assume that a lot of my readers (most?) are volunteers who are still working on "Family" identification.  When I was working on family identification, there were two books I was never without, and I'd really recommend that you get them.

1) J. Reese Voshell, Jr., A Guide to Common Freshwater Invertebrates for North America (Blacksburg, VA: The McDonald & Woodward Publishing Company, Fifth Edition, 2007).

2) R.W. Bouchard, Jr., Guide to Aquatic Invertebrates of the Upper Midwest: Identification Manual for Students, Citizen Monitors, and Aquatic Resource Professionals (Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press, 2004 -- reprinted in 2008).  This is available on line, or can be purchased by going to:  http://www.entomology.umn.edu/midge/VSMIVP%20Key/English/VSMIVP.htm.  I recommend that you purchase a copy and take it with you to the stream.


__________


2. The second thing I wanted to note is that, for those of you who are primarily interested in looking at photos, I have made a collection of my "Personal Favorites" (of the photos I've taken).  You can find this at my Flickr website: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aquaticinsects_of_central_virginia.  Just click on the "Personal Favorites" icon on the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment