Monday, February 18, 2013

Along the way...just couldn't resist taking some photos


I was on a mission this morning -- to check elevation and mileage at some of the local sites where I've been finding Uenoids.  I hope, in the near future, to sum up my findings on the Uenoids I've found over the winter: which species are found where?   And by the way, the season is pretty well over; pupation is underway.  I saw more cases this morning that were sealed up than those that were open for business.

But while I was out and about, I couldn't resist looking around.  Here are some of the photos I took.

Doyles River at Rt. 674.

1. The beautiful, fully mature, male Heterocloeon amplum small minnow mayfly in the photo above.  More views.



2. At the same site, a Perlodid stonefly, Diploperla duplicata.


3. And also at the same site, a Uenoid caddis, Neophylax oligius (pale stripe down the face).


Microscope view of the face.

Sugar Hollow, small, 1st order stream, elevation 1200 ft.

1. Uenoid caddisfly larva, Neophylax mitchelli.

#1

Close-up of tubercle on the head.
Microscope view of tubercle.


#2


2. Uenoid caddisfly larva, Neophylax aniqua.

#1

Close-up of tubercle on the head.
Microscope view of tubercle

#2


N. aniqua larvae appear to be much smaller than N. mitchelli: 3 mm vs. 5-6 mm.  And I suspect that they're only found at high elevations in 1st order streams.

3. Ameletid mayfly, Ameletus lineatus.


4. And a Rolled-winged stonefly, Leuctridae, genus Leuctra.


No comments:

Post a Comment