Sunday, January 19, 2014

Quality insects in quality water: Isogenoides hansoni at the Rapidan River


It's a stunning insect and it's uncommon: the Perlodid stonefly, Isogenoides hansoni.  The Rapidan River in Madison County is the only stream in which I have found it.

The genus is defined by anatomical features.  It has "submental gills at least twice as long as [their] greatest width," and the "median ridge of [the] mesosternum extends anteriorly beyond [the] fork of [the] Y to [the] transverse ridge."  (Barbara Peckarsky, et.al., Freshwater Macroinvertebrates of Northeastern North America, p. 71.)   Naturally, we need microscope photos for a look at these features (these are photos of a previous nymph; I did not keep the nymph that I found today.)



For the species ID, let's turn to Beaty.  "I. hansoni -- nymphs 16-24 mm; large denticles on the ventral mandibular tooth; conspicuous, sharply delineated M-shaped pale mark anterior to median ocellus; ocellar triangle bordered by dark but with pale central spot; dark transverse bands on anterior third to half of terga 1-9 and a dark, transverse band along each posterior margin.  Relatively rare.  Recorded from GSMNP."  ("The Plecoptera of North Carolina," p. 22)

I can't be sure of the length of our nymph, but my guess would be ~ 20mm, and I have not looked at the "ventral mandibular tooth".  The other features are easy to see in the following photo. (Note that I marked the "median ocellus" as the "anterior ocellus".)


Even better:


(For a more detailed description of Isogenoides, see Stewart and Stark,  Nymphs of North American Stonefly Genera, pp. 403-406.)

Beaty notes two other things of interest about Isogenoides: "Primarily collected in small streams to small rivers in the Mountains from late September through April" and "Nymphs have been documented as inhabiting steams that support trout populations." (pp. 22-23)  A good description of the Rapidan River.

I've been fortunate to see at least one of these nymphs at the Rapidan every year since 2011.  Always makes my day.


_______________

Other photos.

1. Large winter stonefly, Taeniopteryx burksi/maura.  Fully mature (black wing pads, black prontum.)



2. Large winter stonefly, Taenionema atlanticum -- of which I got a very nice photo.


3. Pronggilled mayfly, Paraleptophlebia (mollis?).  The leaf packs were loaded with these, along with brushlegged mayflies and Isoperla montana/sp. Perlodid stoneflies.


4. One of the many Isoperla montana/sp. Perlodids I had in my bowl -- and returned to the stream.


5.  And naturally I picked up a few Uenoids (little northern case-makers).  They turned out to be Neophylax consimilis.  Loved the case on this one.




This one too.

___________


And these are the riffles inhabited by I. hansoni -- though I always find them in leaf packs.  (Photo taken last spring.)


No comments:

Post a Comment